Best LED Grow Lights 2020
When you decide to buy LED Grow lights, you are making a decision to not only invest in your indoor grow, but also want to make sure they are the best led grow lights. Over the years, growing lights have proven to be of quite an importance and ever since LED lights have gone popular as a technology, a lot of indoor growers have been switching to these kind of lights!
Over the course of this article, we will first cover the purpose of grow lights, then we look at the factors that you need to consider before you buy a LED grow light, and then at the 10 best LED grow lights.
We have created a list of some of the best LED grow lights on the market for 2020 . There are many lights to choose from, so this list is not exhaustive.
All of the 10 best led grow lights in this list will cover at least a 4'x4' area for flowering. This Best LED Grow Lights 2020 list includes a mix of the following light fixtures:
- ShopGrowSpaces Bestsellers
- LED grow lights we think are well products and have impressive specifications (light output, PAR efficacy, uniformity).
What are LED Grow Lights?
LED stands for light-emitting diodes. These lighting systems emits low heat, are turn-key , and can produce high yields with extreme energy efficiency. Prices for LED grow lights have rapidly come down in last few years, thus allowing home growers to switch towards them as their preferred lighting options.
When compared to HIDs, LED Lights don't require a reflector and ballast for operation, and can last for decades. HID bulbs will often need to be replaced every couple of years and aren't able to produce spectrum as LED lights.
What are different type of LED Grow Lights in 2020?
LED grow lights comes in different forms, so it's very important to research all of them to find the best fit for your growing needs
Most common type of LED Grow Lights are pannels Panels are the most common type of LED grow light and at Shopgrowspaces, majority of LED Grow Lights of consist of LED panels. They include heatsinks for removing heat, a driver (think of it as a ballast), and often come with a warranty. Majority of LED grow lights are synonymous with LED pannel in the market and are the only type of LED grow lights really suitable for full stage growth.
- Full spectrum which can be customized and combined for both the vegetative and flowering stage
- Comes turnkey for a standard house outlet
- Very long lifespan with the bulbs typically lasting for decades.
- Most expensive type of LED grow light
LED Grow Light Bars
LED bars are used by many growers as a simple way to expand their lighting footprint or change their light spectrum. LED Bars comes in different spectrums and are a single rows of diodes. LED bars are not used in full growing cycle, i.e. from plant to seed, but more as a supplemental lighting to a main light source.
- Can easily replace T5 fixtures for increase PAR and less energy consumption
- Some units come as turn-keyand can work with a standard 120V house outlet
- Most use a single spectrum with no switching options .
- Cannot be used for full growth cycle, but more as supplementing, with need of purchasing multiple bars for the use of sole light type.
LED Grow Light Bulbs
An LED grow light bulb is a single LED bulb. Similar to LED bars, they are restricted to grow plants till flowering stage.
But, they can be a great assest for small growing like small leafy vegetables or smaller plants.
- Made for a standard light socket
- Gives the flexibility to create your preferred spectrum by mixing matching.
- Multiple bulbs required
- A reflective hood may be require
What makes the best LED grow lights in 2020?
The best LED grow lights have following common features:
Major characteristics of a good LED grow light is that it has a uniform spectrum, so all the plants under the light receive same intensity and allow you to grow from seed to harvest with the same light. Best spectrum consists of not just red and blue light, but also infrared (IR) and Ultraviolet (UV).
Best yields for the plants comes out from LED lights which have capacity to give more light your. Hence, the best LED grow lights need to be incredibly powerful.
Efficiency in LED grow lights is a must have need. When operating at a high level and producing high power, maintaining a low cost to run is very important.
LED grow lights are high cost investment and thus needs to last long time to show a positive return on investment. This can only happen if the grow lights are sturdy and reliable .Therefore, the best LED grow lights needs to be reliable and durable, lasting for a long time. All of the lights from below listing are from the most reputable brands and include some sort of warranty. This will ensure your peace of mind , knowing you that purchase are protected.
Things to consider before buying LED Grow Light in 2020
After talking about characteristics to look in a good LED Grow Light, lets talk about things to consider before buying the best LED Grow light.
1) Coverage Area: It's absolutely important to be aware of the amount of the space for your light coverage. It's imperative to understand the total amount of space needed cover with your LED lights. Each light has a range of space that it can cover, hence it's important to understand the accurate measurement of the grow space to cover. Once the accurate area for coverage by LED grow lights is found out, make sure to read the reviews and feedback from others on the actual space that the LED light can cover.
2) Brand/Budget/Price: These considerations are important depended upon your grow journey. For a beginner, it will make more sense to go with a lower priced option to get your your feet wet. This will be important as the higher-quality lights typically yield the best results. Once you are more experienced, it's never better to go with the higher-quality lights, as they typically yield the best results. A good brand that has raving customer reviews, is almost always, a safe bet.
3) Spectrum: A full spectrum LED grow light will go a long way in terms of helping your plant during various growth stage. Red,blue, infrared,ultraviolet all light variations are necessary, depending on the stage. It goes unsaid about importance of a powerful light, with different wave lengths to ensure maximum growth. The full spectrum yields are becoming popular these days as they run cool and don't need any additional fans, cost less overtime given the electrical savings, and a strong durability. We highly recommended to purchase these kind of LED grow light as they are the best lights offer that offer the full range, including UV light.
4) Electrical Usage: A good LED lights will need to have durability and great electrical efficiency as well as they will ideally operating for at least 10-12 hours a day. When researching a good LED light, it's very important to understand what the total output is (1000w, 400w, 300w etc). The more powerful lights tends to have less electrical usage and more cost effective.
5) Light Control: Every growth stage requires the proper amount of lighting (down to the exact hour). Please find below a breakdown of the phases below for growing LED lights:
- Seedling Phase: 16 hours on, 8 hours off
- Vegetative Phase: 18 hours on, 6 hours off
- Flowering Phase: 12 hours on, 12 hours off
It's extremely important that light cycles are followed to a tee as it can severely alter the growth and potency of your plants.
Top 10 Best Grow Light 2020!
NextLight Mega Full Spectrum LED Grow Light
The NextLight Mega grow light easily replaces a 1000W DE HPS while only drawing 650 watts. The LED lifetime for this grow light is rated at 100,000 hours, which is 20 years on a 12/12 cycle.
- One of the best led grow light
- Top seller
- Commercial-grade white light fixture with Samsung diodes.
- Application: Home grow, commercial
- Full-spectrum 3000K/5000K white Samsung LM561B+ diodes are heavy in blue and green, providing sufficient red for flowering.
- Mega grow light measures 37" x 37" and is passively-cooled (no cooling fans).
- Wide form factor and thin profile allow the heat to dissipate without additional heatsinks or fans.
- Also helps create a more even footprint without any hotspots or low PAR readings.
- NextLight Mega grow light is available with a Com-Port ($25) and dimmer ($75) for central communication and dimming capability.
- Daisy-chainable unit to an additional fixture thus reducing the number of cords needed to run for the power supply.
- Designed and manufactured in the USA.
- Perfect fixture for tents, grow rooms, or commercial grows.
- UL listed for commercial applications.
Contact us for commercial pricing.
- Wattage draw: 650W
- Coverage area: 4'x4' to 5’x5’ for flower (7’x7’ veg)
- PPF: 1400 umol/s
- Spectrum: 3000K and 5000K (4000K average)
- Efficiency (umol/w/s): 2.15
- Price: $1525.50
- $/watt: $2.34
- $/photon(umol/s): $1.08
- Warranty: 5-year full
NextLight Veg8 LED Grow Light
NextLight Veg 8 grow light has been promising a true replacement for the common 8 bulb fluorescent grow light fixture. Veg8 grow light has approximately an 18% edge over the 8 tube T5 fixture in light intensity measured in PAR.
- Veg8's light fills the 2 x 4 square feet space quite nicely.
- It has more complete spectrum compared to a traditional 8 bulb T5 fluorescent grow fixture and thus facilitate healthier overall plants.
- Veg 8 light are suited for vegetative state of plants.
- It can easily replace a 500 Watt HPS light.
- It uses less than half the power of a traditional 8 light bulb T5 fixture which leads to less power and more efficient technology and hence less heat output to deal with, and in return your plants will love you.
- It's rated at 100,000 hours . When used for a regular vegetative light plants grow cycle of 18 hours a day on and 6 hours off, it will last a little over 15 years of continuous use.
- It's UL certified for damp or dry locations such as commercial plants grow or greenhouses and also good for home use as well.
- Eliminates the need of changing light bulbs ever.
- Minimal Heat.
- Fast, Proven Return on Investment.
- 5 Year Warranty
- Flower Footprint: Not recommended
- Veg Footprint: 2 x 4 square feet
- PPF: 365
- Wattage: 190 Watts
- PPF/Watt: 1.92
- Unit Dimensions: 22 in x 46 in x 2.5 in
- Weight: 10 lbs (4.54 kg)
- Daisy chain option: maximum number of light units plugged in here is 1. This receptacle is for use with Next Light products only.
- Light Life Rating: 100,000 hrs @ 77°F
- Warranty: 5 Years Full
- Operating Voltage: 120v - 277v
- Light Operating Frequency: 60 Hz
- Light Operating Temperature: -4ºF to 104ºF (-20ºC to 40ºC)
- Light BTU Output: 640
- Input Current: 1.6A @ 120V, 0.8A @ 240V
- Made in the USA: Of US and Imported Parts
Black Dog PhytoMAX-2 1000 Watt LED Grow Light Fixture
Black Dog LED Phytomax- 1000 grow light is one of the most scientific and researched powerful LED grow light on the market.
- One of the best grow light from Black Dog LED light brand.
- PhytoMAX-2 1000 led grow light pulls 1050 Watts from the wall, or 2100 LED watts, operates on a 120 or 240 volt outlet, and costs around $45.36 per month to run.
- It implements 420 high-output 5 watt light diodes which capable of penetrating a dense canopy and reaches out to plants in areas that other lights cannot.
- Has true full spectrum which ranges from UV to IR (365-750nm), producing the ultimate seed to harvest spectrum and which plants need.
- This light creates a 7' x 7' veg footprint, or a 5' x 5' flower footprint.
- It has the largest heat sink in the industry, resulting in superior cooling and increased lifespan of the light.
- This light also contains ultra-quiet and reliable fans to further control temperatures.
- Actual Wattage:1050 watts
- LED Wattage:2100 watts
- HID Equivalent:1600 watts
- LED Quantity:420
- Voltage: AC 100V ~ 250V
- Amperage: 8.8A@120V ~ 4.4A@240V
- Spectrum:full spectrum from UV-A to NIR (365 to 750 nm); for all grow cycles
- Coverage Area: 8 by 8 feet for veg; 6.5 by 6.5 feet for flowering
- Working Frequency: 50~60 Hz
- Working Temperature:-4~104 °F
- Power Factor:> 0.98
- Dimensions:21 x 21 x 7 inches
- Product Weight:53 lbs.
- Life Span: 50,000+ hours
- Certifications: ETL, CE, FCC, RoHS
- Package Includes: fixture, US standard 120V 8-foot power cable, adjustable ratcheting 8-foot light hangers
- Manufacturer's Warranty: 5-year warranty; 90 day return policy
Black Dog LED PhytoMAX-2 800 LED Grow Light
The Black Dog LED PhytoMAX-2 800 led grow light will any day replace a 1000 watt HPS , giving higher yields and better quality results with low cost electricity usage.
- Utilizes 420 Top-Bin 5W LEDs from industry leaders such as Cree and Osram, rated at 50,000 hours.
- Cover's up to a 6’ x 6’ for flower and veg a 7.5’ x 7.5’ area.
- It's spectrum can be used for both veg and flower, which helps reduce stalling associated with spectrum changes and which plants need.
- Spectrum ranges from UVA to Far Red and includes a healthy amount of green to naturalize the light for easy viewing and increase photosynthesis inside the leaves and canopy.
- Come with metal-gear ratchet hangers.
Contact us for commercial pricing.
- Wattage draw: 840W
- Coverage area: 4’ x 4’ to 6’ x 6’
- PPF: 1282 umol/s
- PhytoGenesis Spectrum (UVA to far red)
- Efficiency: 1.53 umol/j
- Price: $1949.00
- $/watt: $2.32
- $/photon(umol/s): $1.52
- Warranty: Limited Lifetime
Black Dog LED PhytoMAX-2 600 LED Grow Light
PhytoMax-2 600 led grow light actually consumes 630 watts and is equivalent in output to a 1000 watt HID system.
- Consumes less power than its competitors and does not have a customizable light spectrum or even separate modes for veg and bloom, hence they consume 630 watts no matter the grow cycle.
- Total photon flux of 961 umol per second
- Distribute their light much more evenly throughout the coverage area
- Gives a 5 by 5 foot coverage area during flowering and a 6.5 by 6.5 foot coverage during veg, while most 1000 watt LED lights can flower a 4 by 4 area.
- Very less variation in intensity, so plants on the outside get almost as much light as those in the center. This leads to an even growth and no requirement to rotate the plants as much.
- Offers the best combination of coverage and canopy penetration among all 1000 watt LED grow lights.
- Actual Wattage:630 watts
- LED Wattage:1260 watts
- HID Equivalent:1000 watts
- LED Quantity: 252
- Voltage AC: 100V ~ 250V
- Amperage:5.3A@120V ~ 2.6A@240V
- Full spectrum from UV-A to NIR (365 to 750 nm); for all grow cycles
- Coverage Area:6.5 by 6.5 feet for veg; 5.5 by 5.5 feet for flowering
- Working Frequency: 50~60 Hz
- Working Temperature:-4~104 °
- Power Factor:> 0.98
- Dimensions:18.75 x 18.75 x 5.13 inches
- Product Weight:32 lbs.
- Life Span:50,000+ hours
- Certifications:ETL, CE, FCC, RoHS
- Package Includes:fixture, US standard 120V 8-foot power cable, adjustable ratcheting 8-foot light hangers
- Manufacturer's Warranty:5-year warranty; 90 day return policy
The Green Sunshine Company Electric Sky ES300 (2-pack)
The Green Sunshine Company Electric Sky ES300 LED full spectrum led grow light has a unique full spectrum which is closer to the sun’s rays than any other full-spectrum grow light and hence aids rapid growth and produces large flowers.
- Focused intensity with an optimal flowering spectrum.
- Designed to be a modular system grow light
- Application: Home grow, commercial
- Dual-Way Linear Lens (60° x 120°) angel's the light toward your plants in such a way that it leads to reduce wasted light and increase PAR and vertical penetration.
- Electric Sky grow light system's modularity allows the light to spread over a larger area for even coverage.
- Passively-cooled and the driver is contained within the center of the grow light making this one slick LED grow light.
- Listed for commercial grows and measures 36" x 12" x 2.5".
Contact us for commercial pricing.
Specs (for two ES300s):
- Wattage draw (2 units): 600W
- Coverage area (2 units): 4’x4’ to 5’x5’ for flower; 6’x6’ for Veg
- PPF: 1200 umol/s
- GS1 Full Spectrum (proprietary); heavy in red and far red.
- Efficiency (umol/w/s): 2.0
- Price: $1315.00
- $/watt: $2.19
- $/photon(umol/s): $1.09
- Warranty: 3-year
Soalrextreme 1000 Full Spectrum LED Grow Light
The California Lightworks SolarXtreme 1000 led grow light is perfect for the hobbyist or home growers alike, who are looking for an affordable, yet powerful, plug-and-play option without any frills. It is by far the best COB LED grow light currently on the market.
- One of the best led grow light from California Lightworks.
- Full spectrum plug-and-play grow led light fixture at an affordable price.
- Application: Home grow
- SolarXtreme grow light series does not integrate with a controller, but can be plug it into a timer and set to flower in a 4'x4' to 5'x5' area.
- It uses unique driverless COBs that emits a full spectrum heavy in wideband red (red to far-red). Red, in conjunction with far-red, helps boost photosynthesis via the Emerson Effect.
- Grow Light unit only weighs 22 lbs and is 18"x18". 120 VAC application only.
- Wattage draw: 800W
- Coverage area: Up to 5’x5’ for flower
- PPFD: 800 umol/s at 28"
- Full spectrum white COB with Far-Red
- $/watt: $1.12
- Warranty: 1-year
California Lightworks SolarSystem 550W Grow Light
California Lightworks 550W LED Grow Light might seem like an expensive light , but this is one situation where you get the results you pay for
- Comes in a bright red color – a stark change from subtly-colored light panels from other manufacturers.
- Bit more intense when compared to 3W chips, as this uses 5W LEDs instead – 110 of them
- Has jewel-quality focused optics at 90 degrees.
- Has two 15W UV-B tubes to enhance growth at the flowering stages.
- This panel runs cool and quiet with its built-in fans.
- 3-year warranty
- Input Voltage: 90-277V
- Max Current: 3.3A @ 120V, 1.65A @ 240V
- Operating Frequency: 50Hz - 60Hz
- Power Consumption: 400 Watts
- Total PPF Output* (uMoles/s): 642
- Efficiency* (uMoles/s/W): 1.61
- Veg Footprint: 6 ft x 8 ft
- Flower Footprint: 3 ft x 4 ft
- Life Expectancy: 50,000 Hours (LEDs and Fans)
- Weight: 13 lbs
- Dimensions: 18" x 8.5" x 4"
- Operating Temperature: 0°F to 107°F
- Warranty: 5 Years
- Power Factor> 0.95
SolarXtreme 250 Full Spectrum COB LED Grow Light
SolarXtreme 250 led light is a small LED grow light and is the little brother of the SolarXtreme 1000, which is the best COB LED grow light.
- The SolarXtreme 250 led light is 200 watts, and fits perfectly in a growing space of 3' x 3'.
- It operates on 120 volt power source and puts out a full spectrum ideal for all stages of growth.
- It is incredibly cheap to run, costing only $8.64 a month in electricity.
- SolarXtreme 250 grow light also saves you money on HVAC costs, putting out just 640 BTU's of heat.
- It comes with a 1-year warranty and is by far the best LED for under $250.
- Power Draw: 200w
- 500 PPFD Distance: 18"
- 800 PPFD Distance: 12"
- Max Current: 1.3A @120v
- Coverage Area: 3' x 3'
- Heat Output: 640 BTU
- Dimensions: 8.5" x 8.5" x 4"
- Weight: 6 lbs
- Thermal Management: Active
- Warranty: 1 Year
Mars Hydro SP 250 LED Grow Light
One of the best grow light from MARS HYDRO, the Mars Hydro SP 250 led light uses the cutting-edge SMD LED technology to provide the highest par/lumen output per watt possible.
- Full spectrum(450~475nm 620~630nm, 650~660nm, and white) grow light which gives out sunlight-like output are incorporated by incorporating ultraviolet and infrared light bulbs alongside the Epistar SMD chips.
- SP 250 grow light is able to keep cool and conserve energy by the no-fan design.
- The Mars Hydro SP250 quantum light board is covered by glue for water resistance.
- Adjustable Meanwell driver.
- No veg or bloom switch, the sunlight spectrum of this grow light is suitable for growing plants from seed until harvest.
- Coverage: 2'X4'
- Max Yield: 2g/w
- Compare to HPS/MH/HID: 255-355 watt
- Draw power: 260W + - 5%@AC120V 256W + - 5%@AC240V
- Chip Brand: Epistar
- Plug Type: EU,UK,AU,USA,Japan
- Humidity: ≤90%
- View Angle of LED: 90°-120°
- Work Temperature -4°F ~105°F (-20°C ~ 40°C)
- Lifespan: 50000 hours
- Dimension: 1080x90x80mm
- N.W/G.W: 5.1000 kg
Best all-around LED grow light
So far we've taken you through some amazing LED grow lights, and we sincerely believe them be the best of the best. But, if we had to recommend a trusted grow light supplier, which would it be?
For the best all-around LED grow light, we will zero down our focus on grow light supplier from the perspective of a medium-sized hobby grow or smaller-scale commercial grower.
Black Dog PhytoMAX-2 LED Grow Lights
We consider Black Dog LED'S largest grow light model to be the most powerful LED grow light on the market, and PhytoMAX-2 growlights line to be the best all-around LED. For most of the growers, the BLACK Dog LED seems to be out of reach will because they are priced at a premium, but they truly are the best.
These LED grow lights have been built on 6 years of patent-pending indoor growing experience and are built to last . Here are some top reasons Black Dog LED PhytoMAX-2 are the best LED lights on the market:
- They consists of the finest quality top-bin LED's, from the likes of Cree, Osram, etc.
- They have unmatched durability, cleanliness, and efficiency through glass primary lenses.
- They have edge to edge footprint which provides uniform coverage and eliminate leaf burn and hot spots.
- ETL certified to UL safety standards
- They have most advanced active heat management , which ensures the longest LED life, efficiency, and spectrum stability.
- These lights also feature the largest heat sink on an LED to date, further cooling the growing space.
- They have ultra-long lifespan, with over 70,000+ hours of use.
- Phyto-Genesis Spectrum™ is the most efficient known for growing plants indoors, which is based on their 6 years of research. They have been proven to outperform other LEDs, along with HPS/HPS, CMH, T5, etc.
- It consists of UV and IR diodes, along with white and red diodes. This not only produce's higher potency and active compounds of the plant, but also increases the photosynthetic activity.
We can cite more reasons to consider Black Dog LED's as the best on the market, but we leave it to you to find out for yourself. They have LED's for every size grow, from 200 watts all the way to the industry-leading 1,000 watts grow light!, thus serving both hobbyist and commercial grower's equally.
Need help choosing an LED grow light?
We at ShopGrowSpaces are proud to carry the best LED grow lights on our site, but they may not be the best for you. Every grower's requirement is unique, and we recognize that! If you want help selecting an LED grow light, or have any questions about which one is best for you, reach out to our experts at +1 (800) 351-5283. Also don't forget that we are one of the few hydroponic stores that accept sezzle for financing you grow need.